Night Stories: Fifteen Paintings and the Stories They Inspired
In this innovative concept and multidisciplinary presentation, fine art painter Linden Frederick has created 15 paintings and enlisted a roster of some of America's most renowned, celebrated, and honored writers to create accompanying stories. The diverse and talented group of authors have contributed to expanding the artist's world with their tales, as varied and captivating as the artworks themselves.
Frederick is an artist whose work is rooted to small-town America. His paintings have been described as "stage sets," which have provoked the imagination of some of the most important talents of the day. The authors whose inspired stories are featured alongside each painting include:
- Pulitzer Prize-winner Anthony Doerr (All the Light We Cannot See)
- National Book Award-finalist Andre Dubus III (House of Sand and Fog)
- National Book Award-winner Louise Erdrich (The Round House)
- National Book Award-finalist Joshua Ferris (Then We Came to the End)
- Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli & Isles series)
- Academy Award-nominee Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
- Kirkus Prize-winner Lily King (Euphoria)
- Edgar Award-winner Dennis Lehane (Mystic River)
- Newberry Medal-winner Lois Lowry (The Giver)
- PEN/Faulkner Award-winner Ann Patchett (Bel Canto)
- New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice (Crazy in Love)
- Pulitzer Prize-winner Richard Russo (Empire Falls)
- Pulitzer Prize-winner Elizabeth Strout (Olive Kitteridge)
- Academy Award-winner Ted Tally (The Silence of the Lambs)
- PEN USA Award-winner Daniel Woodrell (Winter’s Bone)
Nine years in the making, Night Stories is unlike any other book by a contemporary fine artist. This unique and compelling collection is the best of what a book can be: perfect entertainment that combines visual and written art offered up by a collaboration of some of the greatest talents in each field.
About the Author:
Linden Frederick, originally from upstate New York, studied at Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto and at the Academia de Belle Arte, Florence, Italy. Frederick concentrates on sensitive and narrative landscape and scene paintings with exceptional success. His work has been included in exhibitions at The Ogunquit Museum of American Art, The Farnsworth Art Museum, Arnot Art Museum, Arkansas Arts Center, Louisiana Art and Science Museum, and the Everhart Museum, as well as in galleries from New York and Florida to California. Since 1989, he has lived in Belfast, Maine.
132 pages; 10 x 11.75"; hardcover